Scope of the Programme
It is no secret that knowing English empowers. Our Spoken English Programme prepares individuals to speak English with clarity & confidence in just three months. We use an approach of learning as native English speakers do. There is a focus on learning directly, contextually and conversationally rather than through translation, memorization and formality. We have a maximum of five participants in each group so that each receives personal attention and the opportunity to speak and interact.
Programme Content & Structure
While the programme has a basic content & structure (explained below), it is important that we keep it flexible to adapt to the needs of each participant.
First, there is a Diagnostic Test to evaluate the needs of each participant, assess his/her level and determine the goals he/she will achieve during the three month program. The test looks at the following areas:
– Level of confidence when speaking English: ease of communication, fluency, attitude, exposure to English…
– Vocal skills: clarity of speech, pronunciation, projection of voice, articulation…
– Communication: making oneself understood, creativity in expression…
– Interaction: listening, understanding and responding…
– Accuracy: vocabulary, using multiple tenses, agreement, word order…
Programme sessions work on achieving the personal goals of each participant in each of the above areas.
There are 12 sessions in total: one 2-hour session per week for 12 weeks. The sessions will deal with the following:
– Knowing the culture of English speaking countries: music, movies, literature…
– Developing good vocal skills
– Handling typical everyday situations: personal introductions, greeting someone new, telephone conversations, small talk, socializing at dinner/lunch, networking…
– Doing a basic presentation
– Developing recognition vocabulary (to understand) and production vocabulary (to speak)
Programme Duration & Group Size
There are 12 sessions in total: one 2-hour session per week for 12 weeks. For the program to be effective in its aim and method, we recommend groups of no more than five participants of similar needs.
Based on the results of the Diagnostic Test, we can determine achievable targets to attain after the 3 month programme. There will be continuous assessments to track the progress of each participant during the 3 month period so that the improvement can be verified.
What is expected from the participant
At the end of the program we expect the participant to achieve a good level of confidence in speaking in English. He/she will be able to articulate and express thoughts with clarity. The participant is expected to attend all the classes, actively take part in group activities and carry out assigned tasks.